Government House Historical Society
The Government House Historical Society began as the Society for the Preservation of Saskatchewan House in 1969 when a small group of people (from the Council of Women, The Chamber of Commerce, the IODE and other local organizations) successfully lobbied for restoration of Saskatchewan House. It was declared a historical site in 1971, restoration of the House began in 1977, and it officially opened as a museum and was renamed Government House on September 4, 1980.
The public was given access to Government House in 1981 — the same year the Society for the Preservation of Saskatchewan House incorporated as the Government House Historical Society (GHHS). Every year since then, the GHHS has continued to expand and thrive as we tackle ventures in keeping with our mission — with input from the public, our members, and our volunteers.
Government House has been restored to the period of Lieutenant Governor Amédée Forget (1898-1910), so it offers a delightful taste of life in the House at the turn of the 20th century. The GHHS works hard to repatriate the Government House furniture and other items that were auctioned off in 1945. We encourage the public to visit the House. Admission is free though donations are welcome.